Tuesday, December 16, 2008

That's Enough, Michael Phelps


Michael Phelps is an American icon. The winner of 14 gold medals over two Olympic games won many hearts and fans in Beijing with his dazzling swimming display. He deserves every accolade thrown his way for his hard work, dedication to his sport, and perseverance. I deserve for him to go away.
Since Beijing, Phelps has been everywhere. Commercials, talk shows, and worst of all, Saturday Night Live. His stiff performance as host on SNL garnered poor reviews, yet many forgave him, because after all, he is a swimmer, not an actor. Fair enough. Unfortunatelty, Phelps didn't take a hint, and continued his nationwide appearance frenzy. Wall Street, sports talk radio, Good Morning America-Phelps Mania was not slowing down, even 6 months after he took China by storm. Most upsetting to me, however, has been his desire to attend every single primetime football game of the season. "Hey, look at you hanging out in the owner's box! Wow-it's Michael Phelps, again. He's the swimming guy who saved America. I'm so happy to see him at this Bears-Saints game". Now, I can sort of forgive him for being at every Ravens game, since he is from Baltimore and all, but does he need to be at every nationally televised Browns game? No.
And last night, he attended the Celtics-Jazz game. Why? And why does ESPN feel the need to tell us this? Why interview him? What's left for him to say-"hey-I'll be at next weekend's Islanders-Red Wings game. You can shower me with more attention there".
Stop it. That's enough. We get it-you are a world famous athlete. Please stop drawing attention to yourself by attending every highly visible event across America. I don't want to see you anymore. Don't make me root against you at the London games in 2012. America needs a Phelps breather. Let us breathe, Michael. I need some air.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw him on Colbert last night. Ugh. He has no charisma on TV. You're right. Enough.

Unknown said...

Yeah, go away. Greatest athlete?, bs. If you are good swimmer, you'll probably be a good swimmer in all 50 events of the same sport. If football had a fastest guy to the 50 yrd line, I'm sure they might win the 40,30,20 and 10 yrd run too. Someone address that he is almost a foot taller than half the guys in his events, accounting for him getting to the finish quicker. Congrats, you are the tallest swimmer.

Lob said...

I'm glad I missed him on Colbert.
True dat, Brendan-I hate sporting events that reward the same thing over and over again. Like track. Wow-he won 4 gold medals!! What an athlete! No. You won 100 meters, 200 meters, 200 meter relay, 400 meter relay. INCREDIBLE. Congrats on winning the same event 4 times.

Unknown said...

I want to add Stephon Curry, Tyler Hansborough(slightly better version of Todd Fuller) and Tim Tebow to that list of go-away players. Thanks.

Unknown said...

hey..leave tim tebow out of this--GO GATORS!!!