Thursday, August 21, 2008

Disturbing News of the Day

With college football, namely NC State, only a week away from kickoff, emotions of joy and anticipation have overtaken my football-starved body.
At least, that was the case until about 5 minutes ago when I read this ferociously horrid news:
This season at Carter-Finley Stadium, there will be a song played over the sound system during the break between the 3rd and 4th quarters. This is supposed to pump up the crowd in the same vein as Fenway Park playing "Sweet Caroline" during the 7th inning stretch, Ohio State's "Hang on Sloopy", and the University of Wisconsin's "Jump Around".
Regardless of the song chosen, this is a terrible idea.
But better yet, I challenge anyone to find songs that would be less likely to pump up a crowd than the 5 finalists: "Hey Baby"-not the No Doubt version, but a virtually unknown 1962 "shagging" song; "You Give Love a Bad Name"; "Song of the South"-Alabama; "I Won't Back Down", and "Start Me Up"
And the leader in votes so far - "I Won't Back Down". I am astounded and ashamed.
Anyone who thinks this atrociously subpar Tom Petty song is good, let alone want to have it played DURING EVERY GAME TO PUMP THE CROWD UP, needs to be put to sleep immediately. I feel sorry for you people, and I am considering not attending a single home football game for the first time in 18 years because of this. What a tragedy.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Best blog ever. Won't back down by
Petty? Doesn't that automatically imply that the other team is better/superior? If not, what would you not back down from? On baseball nothing impresses me more than who has the most $$. Love to hear your thoughts on the MLB fraudulant trade deadline.

George said...

You give Love a Bad Name - Incredible. The crowd would get so pumped up. That song makes me think of Friday nights driving around Green Level in high school looking for the dirt road turn off to get to the bonfire party that was out of the Apex police jurisdiction.

I suggest "Don't Worry, Be Happy" or "Welcome to the Terrordome."

kevin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kevin said...

Blog man, whoever you are, you rule and we thirst for more. I just purchased my new "mimi-pack" plan season tickets after I learned they will be playing Petty at the games. Sweeet! Somebody is actually getting paid to tabulate the votes. I hope they have crowd control. What was the result's of LSU's oll nof what song they play in between the fifth and sixth touchdowns they score?

Petty?, If that is the case c an we at least use the right Petty song, "Even the Losers" or "Freefallin", both of which more accurately reflect our pigskin brohers.

What do you feel about the new bronze that all the players will touch comin out of the lockeroom?

Man! I've got goosebumps right now!

Lob said...

Kevin-I had forgooten about the bronze wolf statue they will now rub. I actually like that, though.